The Q&A Archives: purple passion flower

Question: I have tried to start a purple passion flower with no luck. Ihave several of the green balls that form that have the seeds. I was told to just put them on the ground and they will go to seed. Is this true or should I open it and dry the seeds and plant. Thanks for any help!! Sara in Louisville

Answer: Passiflora incarnata (Passion Flower) seeds are slow to germinate, because they contain a natural chemical that slows their germination. This chemical is slowly removed by contact will cool damp soil. So the advice you received was correct. Leave the seed pods intact and just put them on the ground. The seeds will mature, the pod will break open and the seeds will make contact with the soil. After they have weathered for a while, they will sprout. Patience is the key to growing passion flower plants from seeds!