The Q&A Archives: Stop citters from eating my tulips blub

Question: I have read somewhere there is something you can put on or shake bulbs in to keep citter(vole, squirral)from eating the bulbs. Can you tell me what it is?

Answer: Squirrels can be so destructive sometimes! You might try using one of the spray-on repellents labeled for squirrels, be sure to apply and reapply per the label directions. Another option might be to cover the ground/pot with wire mesh fencing like chicken wire until the plants begin to come up. Some gardeners find that dipping the bulbs in a rodent repellent such as Ropel just prior to planting helps prevent the digging. Some gardeners also report success with feeding the squirrels as a means of keeping them fed without resorting to eating garden plantings. I hope this gives you some ideas.