The Q&A Archives: Weeds in St. Augustine

Question: My Dad and Mon have always had a thick, soft beautiful yard and he said it was St. Augustine. Now some type of ground cover is taking over, it has small green leaves, about dime size, but it looks more black than green, probably the stems. Just this summer it has covered 1/3 of about a 50' area.

What is it and how do I stop it?

I appreciate any help.

Thank you

Answer: What you describe sounds like Dollarweed, also called Pennywort, a small broadleaf plant. The best way to get rid of it is to hand pull it from the root. The problem is that it grows in large patches and it replaces itself quickly so that few find pulling it up a reasonable solution. There are, however, a plethora of avenues of attack to try. There are chemicals available including WipeOut by GreenLight which will kill the weeds but not their seeds so multiple applications will be needed. A product called Image is also an option. It?s especially good for use with St. Augustine grass. You might also contact your local cooperative extension office for recommended controls: Perry County Cooperative extension, 107 North Plum Street
Perryville, AR 72126. Best wishes with your lawn!