The Q&A Archives: every season perennials

Question: I want to have flowers that bloom all year. Right now most of my plants are late summer bloomers. I would like to add early spring and summer perennials. My problem is I am afraid to dig too deep for fear of digging up the other bulbs. I would like to have an all year round perennial garden. Also should one deadhead the spiked tulips? thanks Patty

Answer: Bulbs are storage organs and need the foliage to remain until it dies back naturally so the leaves can transport carbohydrates back into the bulbs, but you can certainly cut off the spent flowers. You should be able to plant around or near your existing bulbs without problem. To have something in bloom almost all year around, consider planting peonies, iris and daylilies, phlox, asters and violets in your garden, then add some annuals (which you can change out as the seasons change).

Best wishes with your garden!