The Q&A Archives: tomatoes

Question: every year I get lots of tomatoes on my 6ft tal plants but only about 4 ripen. I get 7 to 8 hours of sun and have a water system set up to water regularly. what am I doing wrong? I have early girl, brandywine, cherry, lemon boy. they are in a raised be 4 x 8.

Answer: How disappointing for you! Tomatoes require heat and maybe your garden just isn't getting the amount of heat they require. You can try using black plastic on the soil surface to help absorb the sun's heat and radiate it back up to the plants, or you can try planting short season cool weather varieties such as 'Legend,' 'Siletz' and 'Oregon Spring'. Most cool-season tomatoes are red, and there are a few pinks ('Grandpa's Cock's Plume'), an orange ('Sasha's Altai') and a yellow ('Olga's Round Yellow Chicken'). You might also try 'Stupice',, 'Siberia' and 'Glacier'. For cherry tomatoes, try 'Galina's Cherry'.

Hope you have a bountiful harvest next summer!