The Q&A Archives: Wildlife In The Garden

Question: We had a lovely vegetable garden a few summers ago, but a large brown fuzzy animal we think is a groundhog or a woodchuck keeps eating them. He takes one bite out of each plant- its heartbreaking because we just can't stop him. We've tried live traps, but as soon as we trap him either he or another of his kind moves in. Sonic devices are not good as we have cats and cute bunnies that live in the yard. We don't want to hurt him, he's just hungry, but I want my garden to survive! Is there anything we can do to keep him out of the veggies? <br><br>

Answer: Probably the best defense against your garden marauder is to fence your veggie garden. It doesn't have to be sophisticated or expensive, just place tunnels of chicken wire over your rows of plants. Make them high enough to accommodate the mature height of the plants you'll be growing. If you use chicken wire or hardware cloth, sun, rain, and insects will be able to reach your plants, but the 4-footed critters won't. Better luck this season!