The Q&A Archives: pink heath

Question: I purchased a pink heath from Home
depot this spring. It had flowers on it and looked good. Over the past 2 months, the plant looks like it is dead. Brown and dried up. I know that they bloom in the winter. Is there hope for it or should I just pull it out.

Answer: Heaths and heathers will bloom 3-4 times a year if they're happy with their growing site. After flowers fade, prune them back and they'll respond with new growth. If yours is not putting out new growth, it may be showing symptoms of water stress. Heathers need to be high and dry in well draining soils but they also need one deep soaking each week during the growing season. I'd prune a few inches off the entire plant and then wait to see if that encourages healthy new growth. If not, toss the plant. If so, remember to prune it back after each flowering session.

Best wishes with your garden!