The Q&A Archives: Weeding Young Lilacs

Question: I moved into a new home in November. There are very young lilacs being choked by tall grass. I would like to get rid of the grass, then mulch and fertilize the lilacs (good idea/bad idea?). How can I get rid of the grass without damaging the lilacs?

Answer: Lilacs do wonderfully well with just a little bit of Tender Loving Care! You're way ahead of the game with the concern you're already showing them.<br><br>Break out your hoe and hoe the grass out. Grass in this case is a weed! Anything that grows where it's not wanted is to be considered a weed. Try to hoe in a shallow manner so you don't damage the roots. As soon as you have soil all around (without the grass), cover it with a thick layer(4-6 inches) of mulch. If you use well rotted compost, you can dig it in a bit, trying to avoid the roots. A mulch of hay or leaves would go a long way in keeping the grass from regrowing. Then next year you can just dig it into the soil, and add a fresh layer of mulch.