The Q&A Archives: garlic

Question: I love garlic but I have no idea how to plant it,or anything about planting it so can you tell me step by step how to do it. Thank you

Answer: The best time to plant garlic is in the fall, because of garlic's long growing season. October and November are good months. A garlic bulb grows from an individual clove.

Plant each clove flat side down and pointed side up in a sunny garden spot or in a container filled with a well-draining rich organic potting soil. Space the cloves about 4 to 6 inches apart and plant the cloves about 2 inches into the soil.

If you plant in a container, place the container in a sunny location. Water to keep the soil moist, but do not overwater or the cloves will rot. Experts recommend harvesting garlic when the tops dry out and begin to collapse or when the leaves on the lower third or half of the plant turn brown but the leaves on top are still green. If you leave garlic in the ground too long, the bulb will dry out.

Hope this information helps!