The Q&A Archives: Transplanting a butterfly bush and russian sage

Question: I would like to transplant a butterfly bush that I planted (actually transplated) last year. It thrived this year but I don't know if transplating it a second time will be too stressful. When is the best time to do this?

I would also like to transplant a russian sage plant (same scenario as above--transplated last year, thrived this year but I would like to transplant it again) and would like to know when the best time to do this would be.

Answer: Transplanting can normally be done when the weather is cool and rainfall abundant, both of which will help the root systems establish quickly. You didn't mention where you're gardening so you'll need to decide whether the optimal time is either spring or fall. If you do not need to prune either plant, you can transplant them now in the fall. If you need to prune, I'd suggest waiting until spring. This is because pruning encourages new growth and that new growth won't have time to harden off before winter weather arrives. Hope this sheds some light on the subject of transplanting.