The Q&A Archives: When to mow?

Question: I have recently sodded my yard in pallisades zoysia. How long should I wait to mow it?

If I can throw in another question, can you give me planting suggestions for a butterfly/hummigbird garden. I live in Memphis.

Answer: According to the turfgrass specialists, zoysia should not be mowed for one month after being installed. This timeframe will allow the grass to establish a good root system.

There are lots and lots of plants you can place in your garden to attract hummingbirds and butterflies. Hummers like tubular flowers in colors of bright orange or red. Trumpet creeper is a favorite, as are Agastache 'Firebird', Texas Sage
(Salvia coccinea), Coral Honeysuckle (Lonicera sempervirens), Red Buckeye
(Aesculus pavia), Bee Balm (Monarda), Canna, Cardinal Flower, Columbine, Coral Bells, Four O'Clocks, Foxglove, Hosta, Little Cigar, Lupine, Penstemon, Yucca.

You might also consider the following annuals:
Beard Tongue (and other penstemons), Firespike, Fuchsia, Impatiens, Jacobiana,
Jewelweed, Petunia, Various Salvia species, Shrimp Plant.

Butterflies are attracted to disc-shaped flowers where they can rest while they're sipping nectar but they will visit most any flower with nectar and bright colors, such as those that attract hummers.

Best wishes with your colorful garden!