The Q&A Archives: winter hardy palm/banana trees in Annapolis MD

Question: I have winter hardy Palm (windmill/sago) and banana (musa basjoo) trees that I purchased this year - they are in large containers on a deck - what do I need to do to winterize them for this area - Severna Park MD.

Answer: Your zip code places you in a nominal zone 7, and Musa basjoo is considered root hardy to zone 5 so it should be hardy for you. The best way to protect the roots is to sink the container into the ground (which will insulate them) and then heavily mulch over the top of the container. The same advice will hold true for your palms. They are considered hardy in your region, with some protection of the roots. If you can bury the containers in the ground somewhere near the foundation of your house or shed or garage - somewhere where they will be protected from icy winds, they should overwinter well for you. Best wishes with your plants!