The Q&A Archives: Virginia Bluebells Colored Pink

Question: We have had Virginia bluebells (Mertensia) growing in our wildflower garden for some years. This year we have had several plants open w/pure pink flowers and STAY PINK. I can find no mention of this in my books. Is this a common variation or a genetic mutation I should be excited about? (The pink flowers are extremely attractive, especially as they are intermixed with the usual blue flowers.)

Answer: It sounds like a beautiful combo! It's an unusual, though not unheard of, variation, according to the New Royal Horticultural Society Dictionary of Gardening: "corrolas are blue, sometimes pink or white...". That isn't to say it's notSPECIAL! Save the seeds, and see if they keep the color through to the next generation! I don't know of a seed supplier that offers a pink "bluebell", so someone in the industry may have an interest in it. Good luck!