The Q&A Archives: potted herbs

Question: This summer I planted a bunch of basil and oregano in pots and it ended up growing really well. My question is, if I bring those plants inside during the winter, will they continue to grow? I live on the ground floor of an apartment building and don't have a lot of sun, but I think I can get about 3 or 4 hours of decent sunlight. Also, can you recommend some good low-light houseplants that my cats might not be inclined to chew on?

Answer: Basil is a tender annual and probably won't grow indoors for you, but if you have a sunny spot indoors you can start new basil seeds. Oregano can be a perennial but needs warmth and sunshine in order to grow. I'd suggest getting a gro-lite so you're sure your herbs have the required 8-10 hours of artificial sunlight each day.

My research indicateds that the following low-light plants are not necessarily attractive to cats: philodendron, scindapsus, Spathiphyllum, Dieffenbachia, Sansiviera, and Aglaonema. Norfolk Island Pine is also a good choice, pothos and dracaena are low-light plants, as well. Best wishes with your plants!