The Q&A Archives: Morning Glory Weeds

Question: I have morning glory weeds taking over. How do I get rid of them? I have been pulling them out by hand but they must laugh at me and grow more overnight. They are pretty when they bloom but they are just taking over.

Answer: Morning glory, or bindweed, is a notoriously difficult plant to eradicate. Although in many cases repeated pulling will exhaust a weed, in my experience this is not one of them. You might try applications of glyphosate being very careful to follow the label instructions because this herbicide will kill desirable plants as well as weeds. To prevent additional seedlings from popping up you might also make sure to maintain a layer of mulch several inches deep throughout the garden. Good luck with the battle!