The Q&A Archives: I would like to plant a couple blueberry bushes and I need to know which ones

Question: I want to plant a couple blueberry bushes in our backyard and I would like to know which ones you recommend for my area. I live in southern california coastal and inland valley in Riverside County, CA. Your help would be appreciated and also where I could locate these plants. Irma Rudolph

Answer: The low-chill, Southern highbush group of blueberries are the varieties that offer the most promise for extended season production on the California coast. Some of these varieties require little or no chilling to break dormancy and stay green year around if temperatures are mild. Sharpblue, Georgia Gem, Marimba, Misty, Gulf Coast, and Cape Fear are low-chill varieties. Sharpblue is a widely grown, early-season variety and produces earliest in the season.

You can order online from Bay laurel nursery (, or other nurseries specializing in small fruits.