The Q&A Archives: Greenleaf Euryops Daisy

Question: I have a greenleaf euryops daisy (Euryops pectinatus viridis) and I want to know if I have to bring it in for the winter. I live in farmington minnesota.

Answer: Euryops pectinatus is native to South Africa and is a popular perennial in warm winter gardening regions. It's a shrubby plant that endures drought and wind, but is damaged by frost. Euryops grows best in full sun, in average but well-draining soil. Unless you can protect the plant from frost, it won't survive. If you have a greenhouse, you can keep it going through the winter months. It doesn't adapt well to growing indoors as a houseplant, so you might want to treat your plant as an annual rather than a perennial, and plan to replace it each spring. If you're determined to keep yours alive as a houseplant you'll want to invest in some gro-lites or use a shop light with one cool and one warm fluorescent bulb. Keep the plant under the lights for 16 hours a day.

Best wishes with your garden!