The Q&A Archives: Sources for Shade- and Moisture-Loving Plants

Question: I have an area of heavy shade, appoximately 4x15 feet. The ground is always very moist. Does your catalog have any seeds that I can plant in this area that will grow, something along the lines of a groundcover, not flowers. Thanks. Ellen Casselberry, FL

Answer: There are few plants that can withstand a very shady spot that is also very moist. Mosses and ferns are the likely candidates. Wild ginger and Pachysandra are two durable plants that may work. Burpees does not sell these seeds. You might try CarrollGardens, 444 E. Main St., Westminster, MD 21157, 1-800-638-6334; they carry a large selection of mail-order plants, and might be able to suggest some others. It's always a good idea to see what your neighbors are growing! Perhaps they have found something appropriate for your specific conditions..