The Q&A Archives: Croton Scale

Question: My husband and I have lived in South Florida all of our lives and grown crotons successfully. Our crotons now have a scale. The Croton society of Tampa claims that is is a new invasive species and recommended coffee grounds in the soil at the base of the plant. We have also tried Sevin dust to stop the ants from farming the scale. We are having minimal success. Help!!

Answer: Joy,
I would suggest trying a product that contains imidocloprid. This is a very low toxicity systemic insecticide that may take some time to fully work but should help with those scale. I also recommend you contact your local County Extension Office as they have information on local pest outbreaks and the best means to manage them. Their contact info is:
Miami-Dade County Extension,18710 SW 288 Street, Homestead, FL 33030-2309
(305) 248-3311