The Q&A Archives: herbs from seed

Question: I have been starting a variety of herbs from seed. I am having great success except for Rosemary and Cilantro. Any hints on getting them to germinate?

Answer: It is indeed tough to start rosemary from seed. They take up to 3 weeks to germinate at 70F, and seedling growth is slow. Rosemary is fussy about good drainage, and must even have a well-drained soil for germination. Use a soil-based mix and add vermiculite or sharp sand (large particles) to improve drainage. On the flip side, they still need moisture to sprout, just like any seed, so mist soil frequently, and mist seedlings as well, til they are sturdy. <br><br>Cilantro, on the other hand, should come up fairly quickly (in about 10 days), but they do require darkness and relatively cool temps (55-65F). Hope this helps!