The Q&A Archives: planting canna bulbs

Question: I have canna growing in a large pot - last year I just took them in the house and they grew - I would like to know if I can save them any other way - like putting them in sawdust in a bag so I may plant them next year in the ground.

Answer: You can dig your cannas and store them over winter. Here's how: Overwintering should begin after the first autumn frost has blackened the foliage or the foliage begins to wither. Cut stems back to 4-5 inches. Gently dig up each clump of roots, turn them over and allow them to dry for a few hours. Don?t wash. Soil left on the rhizomes will help to keep them from drying out. Store in barely moist, sterile sand, peat moss, or vermiculite in a cool, dark location. Ideally, place them on shelves or racks, or hang them in mesh bags so that air can circulate around the rhizomes. Don?t let the planting mix freeze or dry out during storage. The medium should remain moist but not wet, or the rhizomes will rot. In spring, about six to eight weeks before the average date of the last frost in your area, remove the rhizomes from storage, split them into sections using a sharp knife, and make sure that each section has at least one good root and one good eye. Remove any damaged foliage and rotten plant pieces. Let the cut surface dry out for at least 24 hours before planting to prevent fungus. Then plant in containers or directly in the ground.