The Q&A Archives: insulating outdoor containers

Question: I have several perennials, for zone 4, and they are in containers, above ground. Earlier in the year I asked if I needed to winterize or insulate them and the answer was yes so the roots don't freeze. Two of them are in bloom now, Pink Heather. Some of the others are dormant. How do I winterize above ground container plants? Sincerely, Sue McFalls

Answer: There are a couple of ways to protect your containerized plants. One is to sink the pots into the garden where the soil will help insulate the roots. If that's not an option, you can wrap the pots with bubble wrap or burlap, or you can group all the pots together, wrap insulating material around the outside of the group and then pile shredded leaves or pine boughs over the entire group. Or, if you have a protected spot next to a wall or foundation of your home, you can group the plants together there and pile shredded leaves all around the pots and the top of the potting soil. Best wishes with your container garden!