The Q&A Archives: Soil recipe for South Florida?

Question: Hello, We have a small (10' x 1') raised bed garden in our Miami backyard. Last year we used organic soil from Home Depot and planted various locally-obtained tomato seedlings, but never got much production beyond a few first fruits. I think the soil was holding too much moisture and I read recently that it should be a mixture of organic soil, compost, peat moss, coarse builders sand and Perlite. However, I don't know what the best recipe is. Equal parts? What percentages? Thanks to whoever knows about our difficult Florida soil and climate! Valerie Silver

Answer: Valerie,
Sometimes the first time you mix up a soil and try to garden things don't grow so well. After time the soil seems to settle in and microbial activity picks up and then things do better. I suggest you mix in about 2-3 inches of well decomposed compost or humus and then water the area well and give it a couple of weeks to settle. I think your next attempt and especially your late winter garden will be much better.