The Q&A Archives: How can I get rid of a thorny ground vine before planting my Carpet Lillies?

Question: I have a thorny vine that wraps itself around my Daly Lily plants and I need your help in getting rid of it. I just purchased Carpet Lillies and want to plant them in a sunny area, but I cannot get rid of this thorny vine. It seems to grow deep and pops up everywhere, like a runner. I have a photo if it helps in your analysis. Thanks in advance for your help.

-Theresa Kemper

Answer: I can't tell from your description whether you're dealing with ivy, kudzu or wild morning glory, but the best control measure is to dig the offending weedy growth out, roots and all. You can try cutting the vines off at ground level whenever they appear and eventually starve out the roots, but you'll have to be diligent about it. I'd opt for digging the problem growth out and getting rid of it once and for all!