The Q&A Archives: Sickly Impatiens Seedlings

Question: I am starting my own plants from seeds for the first time this year. Everything seems to be going fine except for my impatiens seeds. They all seemed to have sprouted normally, but instead of thriving like my other seedlings, the stems are very weak and the plants are laying down and dying. Is there something I need to differently with impatiens to successfully grow seeds? Can the existing plants be saved?

Answer: If your impatiens seeds have germinated successfully, then the problem may be environmental. Is your light source within 6 inches of the tops of the plants? Is the soil moist, but not soggy? Have you fertilized? Try adjusting the light and feeding your seedlings with a dilute solution of fish-emulsion or other liquid fertilizer. The impatiens seedlings may perk up when given average household temperatures, proper light, and a little nourishment.