The Q&A Archives: Best way to protect plants from Santa Ana winds.

Question: In Southern CA we have strong dry winds during the fall, for the most part I bring all of my potted plants inside depending on the forecast, to say the least it is backbreaking work. Is there a better way to protect my plants. There are potted trees as Scheffleras and other mandevillas.

Answer: The best way to protect your containerized plants during the Santa Ana wind season is to group them together against a house, shed or other outbuilding. While the winds may whip around a bit, they generally come from a predominate direction. Place them where they will get the most protection from a fence, house, etc. Tender leafed plants such as mandevillas and schefflers will tear in the wind so I'm afraid that moving them into a protected place is your only defense against those hot, dry Santa Ana's. Best wishes with your garden!