The Q&A Archives: Kimberley Queen Fern

Question: I have two of these ferns and they are getting really big. They are on covered porch now but I was wondering if I could plant in the yard? I have never been able to keep anything alive but these 2 plants and now they are getting way too big. Should I move them in the house for winter or plant in yard? Thanks

Answer: Your Kimberly Queen ferns are only hardy in growing zones 9 and 10 where frost is not a usual winter occurance. If your garden regularly experiences winter frost you'll need to move the plants indoors for the winter months. You can divide the plants if they are too large to keep in your home. Simply unpot and cut through the root mass to divide your plants. Each division should have roots with some foliage attached. Pot up each division and take them indoors. By next spring they will have established and sprouted new fronds and be ready to go back outdoors.