The Q&A Archives: anemone de caen mix

Question: I bought a bag of 100 anemone bulbs which appear to be of mixed types and colors. I was attracted by the claim that deer will not eat them, a constant problem where I live.
My question is are they perennial in zone 6 (1/2hour west of Boston)? Should I plant them now, before the winter? Any advice?

Answer: Anemone bulbs have a really unique shape. The flat side is upper end and the pointed side is lower. They won't grow if you plant them upside-down, and some of them are difficult to find the top and the bottom. If this happens to you, you can plant them on their sides. Planting depth is 1/2 to 1 inch.

The best planting season is autumn. However, some species are not extremely cold hardy so be sure to check the package to see if they are listed as cold hardy. If not, wait and plant them in the spring.

Enjoy your new plants!

Today's site banner is by clintbrown and is called "Dicentra"