The Q&A Archives: grapefruit

Question: My 4yr old grapefruit tree has produced fruit for the last 3 yrs, however, they fall off the tree each fall when they are abut the size of a golf ball. What is wrong and what can I do?
I have had it deep fertilized last fall. and then surface fertilized this past spring. What am I missing.
Sue Turner

Answer: Susan,
Citrus will often drop fruit when it is under drought stress or carrying too large of a fruit load. Try to maintain plenty of soil moisture without keeping it too soggy wet which is also very detrimental. The tree will need to get plenty of light also so if a larger tree is overshadowing it some pruning of the larger tree may be needed. Don't fertilize the tree too much especially with nitrogen. A little goes a long way an too much results in vegetative growth at the expense of fruit production.