The Q&A Archives: Pruning Elephant Palms

Question: I have two elephant palms that are taking over the corner of my house and the front. Can't even see out the front window anymore. I'm from the north and never had to deal with this before as plants used to naturally die. Is November an ok time to cut them back and should I cut them down to the base? Thank you!!

Answer: Mikki,
I am not aware of this type of palm being grown in areas where freezes or frosts would kill the top part plant but not the trunk itself. Perhaps we're talking about two different plants. I suggest you contact your county extension office to see if they can provide more insight into this question. They may want to see a photo to make sure they know which type of palm talking about. Their contact information is:
Indian River County Extension Service
1028 20 Place, Suite D
Vero Beach, FL 32960-5305
Phone: (772) 770-5030 Fax: (772) 770-5148