The Q&A Archives: Pruning Tips for Pomegranates

Question: I have a newly planted pomegranate bush. I would like to keep it under 7 ft. tall and in control. What would be my best bet and still get a harvest? Anything is an option. I also have 2 year old climbing roses. I have read lots of books about pruning. How many branches should I allow to grow up at any one time? What is the best organic control for mildew? Thanks for your help and I love your catalog and products. Laurie Mahieu Oceanside, CA

Answer: To keep your pomegranate from spreading, prune out shoots that form at the base. To keep height in check, trim back the current season's shoots in the winter, after the leaves have fallen. And prune out any dead wood. As you have seen, there are lots of theories on how to best prune a rose. As always, begin by pruning out any dead or diseased wood. You can leave as many good, healthy canes as you like, depending on the size of plant you'd like. For a large, rambling bush to hide an old fence, keep lots of canes; for a climber on a trellis, keep 3 or 4 canes. To help control powdery mildew, thin out the center of the plant so the air can circulate. Though unsightly, normally powdery mildew will not harm the plant..