The Q&A Archives: Dahlias

Question: In southern california when do I dig dahlias for division and how do I divide? Also how and in what material do I store them in?

Thank you
Robert L Terrill

Answer: From late fall through early spring are the best months to dig and divide dahlias (October - March). Once your plants have finished flowering, cut the tops of the plants off at ground level then carefully dig the clump of tubers. The tubers will fan out like the spokes of a wheel from the central stem. You can brush off any soil that's clinging to them and store them in dry peat moss or sawdust in a cool, dark area. Replant in early March. Divide the tubers just before replanting by removing each of the tubers from the main stem. You should see an eye or bud on the top of each tuber just below where it joins the main stem of the original plant. Plant each tuber and each will grow into a full sized plant by mid-summer. Enjoy!