The Q&A Archives: Why am I not having any luck finding Hydrangeas in my area?

Question: I live in south florida and I keep going from store to store and from nursery to nursery looking desperately for Hydrangeas, and have not had any luck in finding them. I just got back from a trip to central america, where the heat was jut as bad as florida and Hydrangeas, were blooming all over the city? why is it we do not have them here in florida? someone please help me end my misery, as i am in love with this plant and i am not happy about not finding it.

Answer: Thania,
Hydrangeas like some cool conditions in winter and I have been to locations in Central America where they grow butg where there is some cooler temps at higher elevations. You could try them in your area but the results may be disappointing. I suggest you contact your County Extension Office as they are the experts on what will grow in your specific area. Their contact info is:
UF/IFAS Broward County Extension Office
3245 College Avenue
Davie, FL 33314-7719
Phone: 954-370-3725
If you want to grow hydrangea and can't find it locally, mail order sources are available for these plants.