The Q&A Archives: House plants leaves getting brown.

Question: I need help understanding what is causing my two house plants leaves to get brown at the tips. I have a Cat Palm and a Peace Lily. Any help would be deeply appreciated.
Thank you,

Answer: There are several possible causes for the browning tips on the leaves of your houseplants. If your tap water contains fluoride or chlorine, use bottled water for your houseplants. Over-fertilization can also cause browning leaf margins. You can leach excess fertilizer out of the potting soil. Dry air can also cause these symptoms; mist your plants daily to help increase humidity, or set your plants on a gravel lined tray to which you add a little water. As the water evaporates it will increase humidity around your plants. Finally, over-watering can cuase the same symptoms so water carefully and wait until the top half inch of potting soil is dry before watering again. Hope this information helps you determine just what might be causing the brown leaf tips on your plants.

Best wishes with your garden!