The Q&A Archives: Holly bush won't bloom

Question: I have a holly tree (bush) that has never bloomed to my knowledge. However, i've been told that cuttings of the bush have matured into berry-producing trees. How can i get my holly to produce the beautiful red berries?

Answer: The flowers on hollies are quite small and barely noticeable so perhaps yours is flowering and you're missing the show. Female hollies need a male nearby in order to produce berries so planting a male in your landscape will help with the berry production. Aside from the cross-pollination requirement, hollies need a few hours of sunshine each day. If yours is in complete shade, it won't flower well or produce berries. Don't prune your holly in the spring - wait until late winter so you don't accidentally prune off any flowers or potential fruits. Hope this information helps!