The Q&A Archives: Pruning Pear Trees

Question: When is the best time to prune pear trees? I have two trees that are blooming now. They generally produce a large amount of fruit, but the last two years they have not done well. The tops of the trees are breaking off due to heavy fruit.

Answer: Then the first pruning you have to do is fruit thinning! This will not only save your trees branches from damage, but will result in larger, better quality fruit. Remove all but one fruit from each spur (the tiny branchlets that carry flower/fruit buds) for best results. This also leads me to believe that the branches aren't very strong because the trees weren't pruned properly when they were young. Annual pruning of pear trees is best done while they are dormant (late winter/early spring). I recommend finding a good book with diagrams to show you how to prune your pears correctly, because it can make a huge difference in their health and productivity. Your extension service (ph# 812/256-4270) should have a bulletin on pruning pears for a minimalprice. Hope this helps!