The Q&A Archives: Planting Beans and Corn Together

Question: I understand that companion planting can be a great space saver. How closely (proximity) can I plant corn and green bean seeds? Should I sow the seeds at the same time?

Answer: If you are going to plant bush beans betweens corn plants, I suggest you space your corn plants from 12 to 16 inches apart. If your soil is rich and has plenty of organic
matter, you might be able to plant a little closer. Here in the Jacksonville area, I often plant 'Kentucky Wonder' pole beans or pole limas with my corn. My soil is fertile and I space my corn about 12" apart. I believe you would need a little more space for bush beans so they get enough sunshine when the corn is tall to mature the beans. You might even start them a week of so sooner than the corn to give the beans a head start.

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Hair-raising"