The Q&A Archives: Care of dracaena massangeana

Question: Why after a while all the ends of the leaves turn brown on my Massangeana cane ( Dracaena Massangeana) plant.

Maybe half of the ends are brown now. The plant looks healty well watered, but I do not like those brown leaf tips.

Answer: Some dracaena varieties are more prone to tip burn than others and I'm afraid you have a variety that is sensitive and most prone to browning leaf tips. The cause is usually from a buildup of salts in the soil, or a reaction to fluoride in the water. You can flush the potting soil to leach the excess salts out and/or switch to distilled water. To leach the salts out, immerse the pot in a sinkful of water until no more air bubbles arise to the top. Drain the excess water (in a separate sink if possible or into a bowl), then set the pot back into the sinkful of clean water and let it set for a few minutes. Then drain the excess water (and the excess salts). You can cut away the brown leaf tips if you find them unattractive.
Best wishes with your dracaena!

Today's site banner is by clintbrown and is called "Dicentra"