The Q&A Archives: St Vincent Red Parrot Flower

Question: I live in Central Texas, Austin area, and planted one of these plants back in October. Recently, I noticed that the leaves are turning brown and the flower is brown also. I read that the flowers only bloom through frost, but what about taking care of the plant through the cooler temps. how often does is need water?
Thank you!

Answer: Lara,
Watch the watering and fertilizing on that plant. Some soil moisture is good (moist not soggy) and needed but soggy soil is a bad thing that can lead to the plant dying from root rot. Overapplication of fertilizer can burn roots and result in browning of the foliage.
In cooler temps protect from freezing with a cover and if needed on a really cold night by putting a light bulb beneath the cover to provide a little extra warmth.