The Q&A Archives: Dwarf Snapdragons in container. zone 9. Trop. South.

Question: I just purchased some dwarf snapdradons in zone 9 tropical south ,Miami beach. fl. I'm across the street from the bay.there's more humidity and wind here than elswhere.Daytime highs are upper 70's. Lower 80's in between coldfronts. I'd like to plant the two yellow and two dark magenta Dwarf snapdragons in an italian style urn ,bell shaped container, Set it in between the bushes ( wind protection) in front of my walkway. Facing west. Another building,(on the west side) blocks the direct sun after 5:00pm. Direct rays start at about noonish. I'm concerned about enough sun and disease. They're already partially blooming. I now have them on my windowsill in my air-conditioned apartment, where they get direct afternoon sun. A rare white fly that kills ficus trees is still roaming parts of my area. Can I grow them well? Please advise. THANK YOU and Merry Christmass!

Answer: It sounds to me as though you've found the perfect spot for your new snapdragons. Half-day sun, wind protection and fast-draining potting soil should make your new plants quite happy. I'd plant them outdoors as soon as possible - air conditioning and indirect sunshine will slow their growth and can impair their health. Get them outdoors as soon as you can. Happy holidays!