The Q&A Archives: Angel's Trumpet (Brugmansia)

Question: I saw this plant and fell in love. Can I plant it in Paradise, CA 95969? How much space will I need to allow for growth? Thank you Iris

Answer: Your zip code places you in USDA gardening zone 8, which can be a little too cold for brugmansia. Brugmansia loves humid, warm days, and cool nights. 80-85 for daytime highs and no less than 40 degree nights would be the perfect environment for Brugmansia. Fortunately most Brugmansia do survive higher temps (100+), and all survive lower temps. Fortunately ALL Brugmansia is easily wintered inside.
Brugmansia is a long lived perennial in zone 9 and warmer and can grow to become a small tree to 35' tall, 6'-15' tall when grown in containers. Brugmansia will survive zone 8 winters "if the roots do not freeze" and they?ve even survived zone 7 winters. Repeated ground freezes, year after year, will eventually weaken and kill the plant.

If your garden consistently experiences freezes, keep your plant in a container and take it indoors for the winter. Your plant will grow about 3' a year if left outdoors year around; if you need to take it indoors over the winter months you'll want to cut it back to make it more manageable. In this case, it will generally grow 3-4' each year. I've found that cutting it back to 2-3' just before taking it indoors will help the plant maintain a 4-5' height the following summer. Best wishes with your lovely Angel's Trumpet!