The Q&A Archives: dracaena

Question: I recently bought a dracaena plant that is around 7in tall. I have it indoors and the leaves are already starting to turn yellow and have brown spots. Does it need more water/light? What can I do?

Answer: It may be that your plant is simply adjusting to its new home, but I suspect that you've been overwatering. Yellowing and spotty leaves are almost always a sign of overwatering. When you water, make sure all the soil in the pot is moist, then do not water it again until it is very dry and feels light weight when tipped. It may take 2 weeks for it to dry out enough to need watered again. If your water contains fluoride, you may need to water with distilled or bottled water. Dracaenas are sensitive to fluoride in the water. Dracaena will adapt to low light conditions but prefer medium light. Be sure your plant is not getting direct sunshine (this, too, can cause brown leaf parts due to sunscald). Hope this information is helpful!