The Q&A Archives: Flowering Plum Fertilizer

Question: I have a Thunderbird flowering plum. I was planted in September of 1996. It seems to be doing very well. Now that it is established, should I apply fertilizer?

Answer: Once established, most flowering trees don't need much extra fertilization to keep growing and looking great. I'd say once a year in spring it would be good to spread a layer of compost around the tree(after removing old mulch) and/or mix in a little complete fertilizer such as 10-10-10 around the drip line (where rain naturally drops off the edge of the tree onto the ground. You can also use those tree fertilizer spikes, following directions for the amount. Keep the tree mulch with bark mulch and well watered in summer and you'll enjoy it for years to come.