The Q&A Archives: growing strawberries

Question: Hi I am new at this. I have pretty good growing roses and other vegetables but this is my first try at growing strawberries, I have learnt that they really do not produce very much the first year and so far we have made it thru the cold spell of winter, I keep them covered up when there is frost, but what else may i do to keep then alive and toward growing fruit this spring? thank you carol

Answer: Strawberry plants usually won't produce much their first year. In fact, we often recommend you remove any blossoms on one year old plants so that the plants retain all of the energy to strengthen their roots. By the second year their root systems should be large enough and healthy enough to support a nice crop. When all danger of frost has passed, and when you begin seeing new growth from the crowns of your plants, carefully cut off all the old foliage and remove it from the garden. Your plants will flower and fruit this year, and will send out runners. Direct the runners to an empty space in the garden so they can root. We generally remove 3 year old strawberry plants from the garden and allow the runners to become new plants. This keeps the strawberry bed productive and disease-free. Hope you have a bountiful harvest!