The Q&A Archives: Begonia Care

Question: I got a Begonia and it has dead stuff on it. Can I prune it so it can come back This year? How do I take care of it. It is in a Container.

Answer: There are two types of begonias - tuberous and bedding. Tuberous begonias, sometimes called Angel Wing begonias, go through a period of dormancy during the winter months; bedding begonias are short season annuals. Bedding begonias are the most commonly grown begonias in your gardening region and can be expected to grow and flower until the weather gets really hot. You can pinch off or cut off the dead leaves. Your plant will grow new stems and leaves. Be careful with watering during the winter months. When your plant is not flowering it will not need as much water as when it is flowering. Allow the top of the soil to dry out between waterings. Enjoy!