The Q&A Archives: Controlling Leaf Rollers

Question: I have a small apple orchard @ 30 trees. After fighting various pests I have found out that my biggest problem and I was not treating for is Leaf Curler. My question is, now that I have identified the leaf curler as my problem, what do I use to control them, and when? Thank you for your time and absolutely a wonderful website. John Marshall Sylvania, OH

Answer: I think you are referring to leaf rollers--these moth larvae feed on the surface of developing fruit, causing scarring. There are several things you can do to make your orchard less attractive to these pests. First of all, practice good sanitation. Keep the area under the trees mowed, and pick up and dispose of all dropped fruit. Also remove and destroy all "mummies"--old apples left on the tree. Fruit thinning can help reduce damage--as the apples develop, reduce the number of apples per cluster to one or two. You might want to contact your local Extension agent--they may have more information on pest control that will be specifically geared to your area. Their number is (419) 245-4254..