The Q&A Archives: Tall grass in Day Lillies

Question: I have Day Lillies all around my home. The main problem I have is that there is a tall grass (different from what is in my yard) which is always embedded in the plant. The more I try to weed it, the stronger it comes in. Any ideas on how to resolve this problem?

Answer: Unfortunately, hand weeding is about all you can do. If you applied any type of herbicide on the grasses, it would almost certainly affect the daylily because they have become so intertwined. The best advice I can offer you is to try and weed after a good rain, by weeding then you have the best chance of pulling up the weed by the roots. If you get the root, the weed shouldn't be able to come back. I realize this is very frustrating, and I'm sorry I can't offer a simpler solution. The other, more invasive suggestion, would be to start over by digging up the whole bed, separating out he daylilies from the weeds and replanting. Either way, I'm sorry to say, it's a lot of work.