The Q&A Archives: spring time

Question: I want to know how to prepare my from garden for the spring time. I have roses, but I am not sure about when is the best time to cut for new bloom.

Answer: Roses are typically pruned in early March, just as new buds begin to show. Here are the basics: remove the dead and damaged canes as far back as necessary. Then, remove any suckers that arise from below the graft union, if there is one (the swelling near the base of the plant). Next, select the healthiest canes (thicker and bright green) and cut off the rest. If your roses are just a couple of years old, save about 3-5 canes. Save more on older plants. Lastly, cut the flowering canes back by one-third to one-half. Make your cuts about 1/4" above an outward-facing bud, in the direction you want the new growth to take. Enjoy!