The Q&A Archives: Mushrooms in Lawn

Question: How do I get rid of the mushroom problem in my yard? I've tried every product out there and nothing seems to work.

Answer: Mushrooms found in lawns are often developed from buried scraps of construction lumber, dead tree roots or other organic matter. The fungi that produce these mushrooms are beneficial because they decompose organic matter in the soil, making nutrients available to other plants. These mushrooms are usually harmless to grasses, but some people consider them unsightly or want to get rid of them because young children play in the area. Remove mushrooms growing from buried wood or roots by picking them as they appear or by digging out the wood. Many of these mushrooms are associated with excess irrigation or poor drainage. Removing excess thatch and aerating the soil will improve water penetration in some cases.