The Q&A Archives: Oxalis and Crabgrass in Lawn

Question: My lawn is a mess! I have oxalis and crabgrass taking over my lawn. How do I kill these and have a healthy, lush lawn?

Answer: Start rehabilitating the lawn by using a broadleaf weed killer. After you have killed the weeds, rake them out of the lawn and then seed the bare areas with grass seed. Once the new grass seeds are growing well, you can put your lawn on a regular feeding schedule. A thick, healthy lawn will crowd out most weeds. Then, feed your lawn in April, using a fertilizer with a 3-1-2 ratio of nitrogen, phosphorous and potassium. A wide selection of fertilizers are available from brands such as Scotts and Vigoro at The Home Depot. Periodically you can use a weed and feed product if new weeds are threatening your lawn.